lwip-users

[lwip-users] [lwip] Bahadir Balban Question

From: address@hidden
Subject: [lwip-users] [lwip] Bahadir Balban Question
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 00:13:42 -0000

Hello Bahadir!
I'm also working on lwip under linux. I had the same problem than you. Tapif is
a virtual device that "expands" your ip addresses set with another
one. When
you successfuly install tapif (/dev/tap0 - 1? or /dev/net/tun), after the calls
Lwip do (such as netif_add(gw,ip,device...)) you can run ifconfig and see that
you have another device more than lo and eth0 called tap0 that has it's own Ip
adress, gateway etc. So ip adress attached on tapif will become one of your
local adresses. It olny works for local tests (pings, telnets, etc..) because
it is a virtual device.
Kernels 2.4x seem to cause problems installing tapif. Some mails about this
question have been sent to lwip discussion list but I solved that problem.
The way I succesfully installed tapif was following the instructions I read in
a manual I found in internet. Your kernel must be compiled with TAP/TUN
support, but it doesn't work at all. You must create the device by hand with
the command mknod, but I don't remember wich minor an major numbers are
correct. Search internet and you'll find some help in this way.

Testing LWIP is a problem I actually have. If you succeed installing Lwip you
can ping from your computer (not a remote one) LWIP stack, or probe the http
daemon by adding in a explorer http://ip_adress, or probe "telnet ip 7" to test
udpecho program. The Problem I have is how to test LWIP just using loop
interface. I think loopif must be attached on a real device, such as eth0 or
tap0 (it is virtual but real :)

Send your questions to LWIP community, all of them will be interested (if they
weren't, no answer would be sent, isn't it??).
Anyway, we're working on the same platform (linux) so you can redirect your
questions to me. If I can help you I would be pleased doing it.

CIAO.