lwip-users

[lwip-users] Re: [lwip] RFC: ARP (timing) behaviour

From: Martin Glunz
Subject: [lwip-users] Re: [lwip] RFC: ARP (timing) behaviour
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 23:49:00 -0000

address@hidden wrote:

> > > http://rfc-3220.rfc-list.net/rfc-3220-69.htm
> > >

> > Updating the ARP table upon receivement of any arp packet
> > is ok and a must. But I do not see a need to send sponteanously arp
> > updates, as our hw address usually never changes.
> >
> We can send a sponteanous ARP packet once an interface is configured with a
> new
> IP address. This easens "mobile IP" as described in rfc-3220.

If didn't fully understand the mobile issues from rfc-3220, but as
I understood the first two paragraphs, change of IP address isn't
mentioned here. And how could others update their arp cache,
if we send a gratuitious arp for our new IP, and they do not
know it yet? They won't have an arp entry to update.

Otherwise, nobody says that we must not send spontaneous arp.

Martin Glunz