lwip-users

[lwip-users] Re: Re: [lwip] The future of lwIP

From: Duncan Palmer
Subject: [lwip-users] Re: Re: [lwip] The future of lwIP
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 23:45:13 -0000

On Monday 19 August 2002 20:05, Paul Sheer wrote:
> > where developers disagree, what happens?
>
>  "There is always one best way of doing things.
>  If we can't agree it means that no one knows
>  what that best way is." - me

I would say that Adam should pick 2 or maybe 3 developers to be given write
access. These guys should have worked on a number of different parts of the
stack (not just writing drivers for example). Everyone else will have to
submit their changes to the list as per usual for peer review, and one of the
2 or 3 people with write access will check in the changes if they, and the
list think they're ok. It is very important that these people with write
access know enough about most of the stack to be able to effectively evaluate
all changes!

Based on what I've seen on the list, my nominees for people with write access
would be Leon, Kieran and Paul.

> > [...] when you start using them to switch
> > between radically different code structures it can
> > get very messy and hard to maintain.
>
> hmmmm
>
> If there are radically different code structures
> then these can go in a separate file, and be part
> of a different make configuration.

Agreed. There is already a bit of an over-abundance of preprocessor in the
source which is not good for maintinance.

> I have fixes for all these bugs, but I cannot
> easily keep my code in sync for the reasons
> you stated.

I'm in the same situation. The sooner we get a live repository we can all
track, and use, the better.