lwip-users

[lwip-users] RE:Re: [lwip] Should LwIP go (L)GPL ?

From: Paul Sheer
Subject: [lwip-users] RE:Re: [lwip] Should LwIP go (L)GPL ?
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 23:08:16 -0000

On 2002.10.18 17:07 barryc wrote:
> >The LGPL also forces changes to be submitted,
> >but allows code to be linked that is proprietary.
> >So a company can use LwIP and still keep its
> >applications secret that link with LwIP.
>
> Almost, but not quite.
> Under the LGPL, if you DYNAMICALLY link against the library, you may licence
> your program's code as you see fit.  However, if you STATICALLY link your
> code
> to it, your entire program must be LGPL (or GPL).

yep, thats why we need a new license

i am most of the way through it. i just need permission
from larry rosen to copy certain clauses from his license

> To quote from section 5 of the LGPL:

yeah yeah yeah - just been readin' it meself  :-)

-paul

Paul Sheer Consulting IT Services . . Tel . . . +27 (0)21 6869634
Email . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . address@hidden
Linux development, cryptography, recruitment,  support,  training
http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer . . . . . . http://rute.2038bug.com
L I N U X . . . . . . . . . . . .  The Choice of a GNU Generation