lwip-users

[lwip-users] Re: [lwip] Recommend 100base-TX MAC/PHY

From: Joel Baumert
Subject: [lwip-users] Re: [lwip] Recommend 100base-TX MAC/PHY
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 23:17:17 -0000

SMSC LAN91C113 and the ASIX Ax88796 both are 10/100 interfaces 3V with
integrated 10/100 MAC/PHY.  They both have a CPU interface that can go down
to 8-bits.  The ASIX is NE2000ish, but there are some oddities in how it
manages the memory on the read side that don't really match other NE2000
devices.  The SMSC interface is pretty straightforward to program and has
reasonable documentation after you find all the right Application Notes and
Data Sheets.

Joel

At 10:47 AM 8/29/02 -0700, you wrote:
>I'm looking for an easy-to-program MAC/PHY that can do 100base-TX,
>possibly also 10 and 1000 bps. What would you recommend or, conversely,
>what would you warn others away from? I want to connect it to a 32-bit
>DSP with a 32-bit bus, not byte-addressable. (An 8- or 16-bit interface
>is ok, though.) I have an FPGA available if necessary to glue the buses
>together.

[...]

  Joel Baumert
  Zworld, Senior Software Engineer