lwip-users

[lwip-users] Re: [lwip] UDP socket for writing only.

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: [lwip-users] Re: [lwip] UDP socket for writing only.
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 23:11:52 -0000

On Thu, 19 Sep 2002, Aleksander Wysocki wrote:

> >    I open an UDP socket then connect it using "connect" function - give
> the
> > lwIP information about server's address. And after all of that I use only
> > "send" function to send information I need.
> >    Now imagine that there are incoming datagrams addressed to this socket.
> > My program doesn't get them because it doesn't call "recv" function. As I
> > understand after some period of time incoming datagrams take all free
> pbufs
> > for the incoming datagrams and other sockets will not be able to receive
> > data.
> >    Is there any mechanism in the lwIP to avoid these situations?
> >    What is wrong in this entire scenario?
>
> if you do not call recv(), incoming datagrams will be just discarded.
> (maybe some amount (for example one - it depends of the implementation)
> will be hold in hope you will recv them, but for sure they will not eat up
> your memory)

Also, if something is sending datagrams to you when your application is
not expecting them suggestions there is something wrong with your
application level protocol.  If it is correct for datagrams to be
delivered to this socket, then I would have thought you would be
interested in them, rather than wanting them to be discarded.

Kieran