lwip-users

[lwip-users] [lwip] Wireless Ethernet

From: DASILVA VINCENTE BIT
Subject: [lwip-users] [lwip] Wireless Ethernet
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 22:17:16 -0000

Hello

I was thinking that there are a lot of people working with/on lwip. A lot of
them are developing drivers for Ethernet hardware. There are a lot of other
tcpip stack projects. What differentiates lwip from the rest? Why should a
developer choose lwip over some other stack?

Firstly, I think we should not forget the main reason lwip was developed in
the first place, to run on small embedded devices with a small amount of
memory. Whenever adding code to lwip we must do our best to make sure that
it is added in a way that allows developers working on small embedded
systems to easily configure the stack to include or not include modules.
(DHCP,FTP etc..) I think the HAL layer in lwip is excellent. This allows it
to be ported easily. What is lacking is documentation. Many more developers
will be attracted to lwip if there is more documentation.

Secondly, instead of developing Ethernet drivers for devices that other
people have already developed drivers for, why don't we create a common goal
of for example, developing a cheap wireless Ethernet driver/hardware that
lwip will be able to run on. We will be one of the first to do it, and I'm
sure you will all agree that this kind of functionality will give any
products we are working on using lwip a competitive edge, and will also
attract other developers to lwip.

What do YOU think?

Thanks
Vicente