lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [bug #54281] DHCP request send on reboot does not contain h

From: Jasper Verschueren
Subject: [lwip-devel] [bug #54281] DHCP request send on reboot does not contain hostname option
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 03:53:51 -0400 (EDT)

I looked into following RFCs: 1553 and 2131.
It's not stated when a host name option may be given.
It's just mentioned as a possible option.

So how did I test this issue?
When my implementation boots it does the needed DHCP communication to get an
IP address etc and it gives it's host name.
If I ping MYHOSTNAME, I get feedback.

Then I unplug the Ethernet connector and plug it back in again.
When plugged in, netif_set_link_up is called which calls dhcp_network_changed
which calls dhcp_reboot. The reboot request message does not contain the host
name.

If I then ping MYHOSTNAME again it does not get resolved. If I look at the DNS
traffic with Wireshark, I get a no such name.

When adding the patch this does work.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?54281>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/