lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [bug #52763] mdns: move data off the stack and dynamically

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: [lwip-devel] [bug #52763] mdns: move data off the stack and dynamically allocate data.
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2018 09:44:16 -0500 (EST)

Up to now, worst case calculation was deliberately used in lwIP to prevent
"random" allocation failures when the heap gets empty. That's why we have
pools. And you can use the heap to emulate the pools if you want to. However,
I'm not comfortable with using mem_malloc all over the place. We have to let
people configure the allocation scheme. You're the best example for that. But
you can't enforce your allocaton scheme to all users of lwip. We have to find
a way that fits all.

Regarding strndup: your comment about using it worries me a little. LwIP does
*not* use the C heap! (Or only if you configure it to.) Strndup uses malloc,
so it's a no-go!

And regarding the separatoin of big changes into small commits: I also think
it's important to have one issue solved per commit. That doesn't mean commits
have to be small, but mixing things in one commit makes it really difficult to
see what has change why when you look at it ten years later...

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?52763>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/