lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [bug #52353] netif_issue_reports() not checking link/netif

From: Joel Cunningham
Subject: [lwip-devel] [bug #52353] netif_issue_reports() not checking link/netif up status
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 11:59:08 -0500 (EST)

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
         Planned Release: None
            lwIP version: git head

Details:

One of my netif's does the following to set a static IP address:

1) netif_set_link_up()
2) netif_set_addr()
3) netif_set_up()

I've found that steps 2 and 3 each produce a gratuitous ARP, which is
unexpected.

Looking at the implementation of netif_issue_reports, I found it's not
checking either the link or administrative state before calling
etharp_gratuitous().  It only checks that the netif has a non-zero IP address,
thus resulting in the ARP when netif_set_addr() is called even though the
netif is still down.  Then when netif_set_up is called, a duplicate ARP is
generated

I can provide a patch if there is consensus that netif_issue_reports() should
be checking the link and admin states (in addition to IP address)

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?52353>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/