lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] Change sys_arch_mbox_fetch to not return the time?

From: Sylvain Rochet
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] Change sys_arch_mbox_fetch to not return the time?
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2017 11:42:52 +0200

Hey Douglas,

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 09:21:42PM +1000, Douglas wrote:
> It appears that the timer returned by sys_arch_mbox_fetch is unused, and
> that only the SYS_ARCH_TIMEOUT value is tested.
>
> Might it be a legacy requirement to return the time. It would simplify
> sys_arch_mbox_fetch a little for at least some implementations to remove
> the requirement to return a time.
>
> So would a patch to change the documentation for this function to remove
> the requirement to return a time be considered?

I asked the same thing in task #8995[1] :-)

"By the way, we do not use the time based sys_arch_sem_wait() return
 value anymore, should we remove the burden from ports for doing so ? We
 can keep compatibility by telling in the documentation it should return
 0 (i.e. anything != SYS_ARCH_TIMEOUT) if a message arrived or
 SYS_ARCH_TIMEOUT."

At least for me, we should, I removed returning the elapsed time in my
port for quite a while.

Sylvain

[1] https://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?8995