lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [bug #49827] wrong cast to size_t on 16-bit x86 architectur

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: [lwip-devel] [bug #49827] wrong cast to size_t on 16-bit x86 architecture
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2016 07:43:45 +0000 (UTC)

Re Ambroz:
We are using a lot of 3rd party libraries at work, many of them with poor code
quality.

Having a library like that, you have three options:
a) live with the warnings and risk missing warnings in your own code because
there are *so* many warnings when compiling
b) globally disabling some warnings (but you lose them in your own code, too)
c) setting up an own set of warning for every library

Because we don't want lwIP users to go through this, we try to make lwIP code
as "clean" as possible. It might not be perfect yet, but we're trying to get
there.

Re Joel:
It works with GCC's standard warnings, but not if you try to enable as many
warnings as you can: as Dirk said, in some places it's OK to cast, in some
it's not. Marking the places where you explicitly say "this must be OK, I
thought about it" is what we're trying to do here.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?49827>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/