lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] PolarSSL -> mbed TLS

From: Jonathan Larmour
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] PolarSSL -> mbed TLS
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2016 18:42:19 +0000

Hi,

Long time no post (for me)...

On 07/03/16 22:54, Sylvain Rochet wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 09:43:26PM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
>> I just wondered: now that PolarSSL has been bought by ARM and the
>> successor, mbed TLS is available under a non-GPL license again
>> (Apache): [snip]
> We can probably allow using ASL in lwIP, it reaches my limit at
> understanding slight differences between licenses, from my opinion
> it's as free as BSD.

According to the FSF, it's not compatible with the GPLv2 [1], only
GPLv3. That is why mbed TLS is dual licensed with GPLv2:
https://tls.mbed.org/how-to-get

Some care would be needed in how it is incorporated into lwIP, or
perhaps, incorporating would be the wrong approach and it should just be
a case of the user linking against an mbed TLS they've built themselves.

Jifl

[1] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html#apache2

------["Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere"]------       Opinions==mine