lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [task #12722] Improve IPv4/v6 address handling

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: [lwip-devel] [task #12722] Improve IPv4/v6 address handling
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 20:14:03 +0000

I'm currently working on this but it's much more work than I thought: to
finally get the code clean, I'm removing the whole 'ipX' idea. Instead,
ip_addr_t shall be the universal address type, visible to the APIs. Plus I'm
planning to rename all IPv4 functions from 'ip_*' to 'ip4_*' and renaming the
version-wrapper-defines to 'ip_*'.

Dedicated IPv4 addresses get a new type 'ip4_address_t' and are handled in
specific cases only (IPv4 code and related protocols like AutoIP, DHCP, ARP).

The benefit is that (correctly written) applications don't need to be
rewritten: address initialization macros stay like they are, they just also
initialize the 'type' field. Plus we get an IPv6-only stack 'for free',
almost.

The downside is that there are some (rare) cases where old applications/ports
need to be upgraded (where IPv4 addresses are needed, e.g. netif address
initialization). However, unless LWIP_IPV6 is enabled, things should still
work...

Since this is the last real blocker for 1.5.0 (isn't it?), I hope to finish it
in the next days...

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?12722>

  Nachricht gesendet von/durch Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/