lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] PPP code size

From: Sylvain Rochet
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] PPP code size
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 18:05:15 +0100

Hello Ivan,

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 10:06:37AM -0600, Ivan Delamer wrote:
> Hi Sylvain,
>
> Quick question: I updated lwip to head in my application and noticed
> code size increased by about 20kB. Is this possibly due to some new
> PPP feature? Is there something that can be disabled? It would be
> some change in the last 2-3 weeks or so.
>
> Or do you think this is coming from somewhere else?

20 kB is quite a lot, I added a little bit overhead in PPP (especially
for PPPoS) when I added the separation layer between PPPo(S|E|L2TP) but
20 kB sound like too much because I also removed some useless features
in the meanwhile (ARP is disabled, WINS is disabled, DNS is optional,
AUTH is optional, …).

I checked to be sure, reverted up:

lwip         604a92d
lwip-contrib b2cf204

Size are in byte, on x86_64, binaries not stripped:

466440   no ppp
857560   PPP (full featured except PPP_SERVER)

PPP size: 391120

Git HEAD

480456   no ppp
856040   PPP (full featured except PPP_SERVER)

PPP size: 375584

Not me ;-)

Sylvain