lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] Lwip as a router

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] Lwip as a router
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 12:32:17 +0100

Ghobad Emadi wrote:
> Hi everyone,I needed to use lwip as a router last month and  when I searched
> on Google I understood that a lot of people want to use it as a router.
> I have deployed Lwip to use as a router. How can I add this feature to Lwip?

Shouldn't this just work when IP_FORWARDING is enabled? Extended routing
capabilites would be missing, but simple routing with a default gateway should
work, I think.

What did you need to add to make it work for you?

> Moreover, is it a useful thing?

In general, we suggest to not use lwIP as a router, since it has been designed
for devices, not for networking components where possible failure could disable
a whole network. It should work anyway, but if I were to design a router, I'd
rather use a more full-blown OS like a BSD or linux...

Simon