lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] lwIP Copyright

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] lwIP Copyright
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 21:49:17 +0200

 Kieran Mansley wrote:
With a work such as a maintained source file it is an ongoing creation,
and so the range of dates is showing the range over which it was
created.
[..]
The copyright message should be updated whenever changes are made to a file.
Well, regarding *file* copyright, I agree that it's not something I enjoy checking/changing every time I commit. Also, I think I might have changed every file of the stack by now - and as such I think I should have mentioned my copyright throughout the stack...? Given that, since I haven't been trying to gain anything out of this project, I haven't bothered much with copyright issues.

However, after having noticed Microsoft including lwIP 1.3.2 in their latest .NET Micro Framework release* (!) just 2 months ago (they should have waited for 1.4.0...) and seeing they only mention SICS (2001, 2002) as copyright holder, I think we might want to have a second thought about our project-wide copyright: I'm really grateful that Adam started this stack, but over the years, there have been far more people (or companies, like axxon?) involved which would be worth mentioning, too.

Now I don't want a copyright note (like in .NET MF) to be 100 lines long, but I'd very much vafour "(C) lwIP-project/SICS" over "(C) SICS"! I'm not saying to underrate SICS' work here, but I don't want the work of the rest to be underrated, too.

After all, I'm not at all familiar with copyright law (where I work, there are people doing this for me :), so unfortunately, it's not up to me to judge what's the best solution...

Simon

--
* http://blogs.msdn.com/b/netmfteam/archive/2010/07/19/netmf-versions-4-1-released-to-web.aspx