lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] [task #7896] Support zero-copy drivers

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] [task #7896] Support zero-copy drivers
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 22:10:59 +0200

Wow, your alive, hehe. Nice hearing from you!

Jonathan Larmour wrote:
I think it would still be more efficient if
you don't have chained DMA if you had to do this in 2 separate
transfers to the MAC.
Not all MACs would be able to do that.
For example the last FPGA-based MAC I used only allowed single-buffer ethernet frames that are aligned on a 32-bit boundary.

So reading the rest of the mail, is this (task #7896) all about alignment only? Because if so, I wouldn't want to let that hold back 1.4.0 if it's only new code, not changing the API.

The only thing I can add is that for my other MAC, the only limitation is alignment, too. There might be other things though (like having all pbufs of a specific maximum length for RX), but I guess these could be also solved by allocating pbufs correctly.

Simon