lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] Window scale and SACK

From: H. Peter Anvin
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] Window scale and SACK
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 11:31:40 -0700

On 09/30/2009 10:58 PM, Simon Goldschmidt wrote:

>> I noticed a thread from April about implementing
>> window scaling, and only a mention from 2003 about SACK.  I am curious
>> if someone is already working on either or both of these.
>
> There is a patch for window scaling in the savannah bugtracker
> (https://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?6537), but I don't know the status of it
> or how it applies to 1.3.1. It might be on the list for 1.4.0, though...
>
> You can always download the patch, try to apply it to 1.3.1 and see how far
> you get or where you have to change things.
>
> As for SACK, I can't recall this being mentioned on one of the lists lately,
> so you might have to implement this on your own. I wouldn't be aversed seeing
> a cleanly separated patch for this, though (it would have to be as
> lightweight as possible and turned off with an option, of course :).

Obviously.  I recognize my application -- I am looking at using lwip in
the Syslinux (PXELINUX) boot loader -- is on the upper end of what lwip
is designed for, but the early performance numbers are very encouraging.

The other thing I will need to tackle is a generalized ARP
implementation (i.e. not limited to Ethernet.)  That should be pretty
easy from the look of it and can be a separate piece of code if needed.

        -hpa