lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] Re: [bug #26397] SLIP polling support

From: Simon Kallweit
Subject: [lwip-devel] Re: [bug #26397] SLIP polling support
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 13:59:42 +0200

Simon Goldschmidt wrote:

Actually ppp.c uses sio_read() in blocking mode. It uses sio_read_abort() to cancel the blocking sio_read() calls.

So the SLIP-polling patch wouldn't work, either, since both sio_read and
sio_recv are blocking, which means the function sio_poll would block, too!

No, it wouldn't. I would first like to fix the sio API and then see how to best implement SLIP polling.

In that case, there's no alternative to a new function, I guess. I'd be OK
with sio_tryread() or something like that (try- to stay with the naming
convention we already have - e.g. in sys_mbox_tryfetch).

Well, sio_tryread() would be the same as sio_read() but non-blocking? We could also add a function to peek at how many characters are waiting in line. But sio_tryread() sounds fine to me.

Shall I write a patch for sio.h?