lwip-devel

RE: [lwip-devel] [bug #26273] etharp.c : fix alignment issue in etharp_r

From: Bill Auerbach
Subject: RE: [lwip-devel] [bug #26273] etharp.c : fix alignment issue in etharp_raw
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 17:57:12 -0400

Casting pointers is not guaranteed to conform to alignment restrictions of the
target processor.  Non-casted pointers to char, short, int, and long as well as
implicit casts to these are safe.  If you can use standard C constructs without
casts, it should both be portable and work on all platforms.  A bad aspect of C
is that it has some portability shortcomings - pointer casting and bit-fields
come to mind.  I always try to avoid all pointer casts other than to void * and
char *.

Bill