lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] LWIP_ERROR included in release builds

From: Bill Auerbach
Subject: [lwip-devel] LWIP_ERROR included in release builds
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 17:03:28 -0400

Hello,

I just happened to view the binary output of my lwIP based firmware and noticed something that surprised me a lot.

I see several assertions in the text part of the binary.  I check into the text and find out that LWIP_ERROR is including assertions in release mode!  I.e., LWIP_DEBUG is not defined and LWIP_NOASSERT is defined.  I find in debug.h there is no exclusion of LWIP_ERROR if LWIP_NOASSERT is defined.  I think this is a bug not to do so.  To me, release means release.  If I didnt catch this LWIP_ERROR check in debug mode testing, its my problem if any of these checks fails, they will lock up my firmware!  (Maybe if it continues it will also, I cant say.)  A workaround could be an explicit define (LWIP_CHECK_ERROR) if its desired to have it when LWIP_NOASSERT is defined as I feel strongly that LWIP_ERROR should not be included by default.

Is there a good reason to dispel my opinion?

Bill