lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] IP conflict detecting

From: fabian . koch
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] IP conflict detecting
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 15:10:55 +0100

Hey,

yes. When there is a packet, directed to your IP but to a different MAC address then it is pretty clear there is someone using your IP.
usually this is done on Broadcast packets so you can detect it also in switched networks. Basically ARP is used.

The AUTOIP mechanism uses a similar approach, I think. Except for the AUTOIP mechanism there is (to my knowledge) no defined behavior in this situation.
Most OSes inform the user about a conflict. In AUTOIP, a different IP is chosen and tried again (in the 169.254. subnet)

It would be nice to have a callback in the ARP Layer of LwIP to be notified and then implement your own behavior.

regards,
Fabian