lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] Extended udp_recv callback

From: Jonathan Larmour
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] Extended udp_recv callback
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 22:21:45 +0000

Kieran Mansley wrote:

I think a combination of the two approaches might be best:
 - add an extra callback to the API, something like pcb->recv_ext() with
an associated means of setting a handler for this callback. - have a pcb->flag that selects whether to use the normal recv callback
or the extended recv callback.
 - have a compile time EXTENDED_RECV_CALLBACK definition that can be
used to compile the extended recv callback feature out if others don't
want it.

That way existing code doesn't need to be modified as the old callback
remains the same.

I just noticed that you seemed to be saying this wouldn't just be a temporary measure. If it's not temporary, I don't believe it's such a good change because then you essentially have two mutually exclusive APIs for the same thing. Any well-written raw API code integrated with lwIP (other protocol stacks on top of lwIP, or applications, or services, etc.) will have to check whether EXTENDED_RECV_CALLBACK was set by the user, and provide support for both cases. I don't think that's a good thing in an API.

Jifl