lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] PPP single threaded

From: Simon Kallweit
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] PPP single threaded
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 13:42:47 +0100

Erik Ekman wrote:
Yes, it sounds interesting! Usually when doing PPP over the serial
link one needs to handle things like the modem/GPRS module saying NO
CARRIER. Right now I have separate code that checks for this and then
storing other data in a buffer that PPP reads from. Do you run sio_*
functions directly to the serial port?

The 'chat' module can be used to do the initial link negotiation. Currently this is used standalone, but I think I'll integrate it into PPPoS, so it can be done automatically. I use the sio_xxx interface yes, but I think the interface should be extended to support proper opening/closing as well as configuration of the blocking mode. In a polled single-threaded environment, reading must be non-blocking, while writing should be blocking. If we look for an implementation that will work in both single and multi-threaded environment, this should be extended.

Simon