lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [patch #6370] Sending to myself

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: [lwip-devel] [patch #6370] Sending to myself
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 18:56:28 +0000

Follow-up Comment #9, patch #6370 (project lwip):

> Some ideas to improve naming and the rest fo my patch.
> - IP_TO_SELF >> LWIP_NETIF_LOOBPACK

LOOPBACK, but OK

> - IP_TO_SELF_MULTITHREADING >> LWIP_NETIF_LOOBPACK_MULTITHREADING

ditto

> (argh, very long)

who cares? ;-)

> - netif.self_{first|last} >> netif.loop_{first|last}

OK for me

> - loopif_poll() >> no idea (Simon?)

no idea, really. Maybe netif_poll_loopback() ?

> - LWIP_LOOPIF_MULTITHREADING: will it be needed anymore, in case
> the loop behaviour is moved into netif?

No, it won't since loopif_poll and loopif_output can be removed.

> - How about setting the default value of
> IP_TO_SELF_MULTITHREADING to (!NO_SYS)?

A good default value.

> - Moving the _output() function from loopif.c to netif.c, I changed
> from pbuf_alloc(PBUF_RAW, ...) to pbuf_alloc(PBUF_LINK, ...). I need
> an ack/nack on that by someone with more knowledge of pbufs.

That has already been changed in CVS HEAD an is OK (I guess it was a copy &
paste error while copying from an ETH netif).

What I'd like to see
- poll function for one specific netif and one to poll _all_ netifs in
netif_list.
- a better check for multithreading (assert if input is ip_input? what else
can be done to make this safe?)
- this is new, even for loopif: limit the packets on such a queue to prevent
using all pbufs for loopback communication (could be turned off)

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?6370>

  Nachricht geschickt von/durch Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/