lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [task #7490] Add return value to sys_mbox_post

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: [lwip-devel] [task #7490] Add return value to sys_mbox_post
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 20:27:20 +0000

> - if we do a "non-blocking+retry" in get/setsockopt with
> tcpip_callback on errors ? Same for netconn_gethostbyname? Or is
> it to the application thread to do it ?

Blocking and try again? So return ERR_MEM when the mailbox is full? I still
think the mailbox will be too full most of the time when receiving too fast,
this could confuse ported socket applications that presume an error then...
I'd prefer blocking.

> - if we replace netconn::mbox by a sys_sem_t ?

That would be good.

> - if we add a "size" parameter to sys_mbox_new to let the user
> tune its mbox (we a DEFAULT_MBOX_SIZE for netconn::mbox,
> DEFAULT_RECVMBOX_SIZE for netconn::recvmbox & acceptmbox, and
> DEFAULT_TCPIPMBOX_SIZE ) ?

That would also be a good idea, I think! Since we trypost to recvmbox and
acceptmbox, this can greatly help to reduce the memory footprint (especially
combined with SO_RECVBUF, which could free the mbox and reallocate it with a
smaller size - as long as the socket is still unused).

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?7490>

  Nachricht geschickt von/durch Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/