lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] Please comment on suggested development of the cs8900 drive

From: Mike Kleshov
Subject: [lwip-devel] Please comment on suggested development of the cs8900 driver
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 09:12:34 +0400

As the new maintainer of the cs8900 driver, I would like to suggest a course of
action.
First, a little background info would be appropriate. I am currently in the
process of adding an ethernet interface to an embedded system. The system is
built around an ARM-based microcontroller with the CS8900A chip attached to it
via external memory interface. There is no OS, I am planning to use raw API. It
is planned that the system will run a TELNET-like server to implement a simple
remote control protocol ('command message'->'response message'.) It will also
run a simple HTTP server featuring GET, POST and HTTP digest authentication. I
am using the IAR EWARM software for development.
My suggestion is to create an 'arm_nosys' port containing the cs8900 driver.
I'll try to avoid using any compiler-specific contructs (except packed
structure modifier), so the port should be fairly compiler-independent. Also I
would like to do a rewrite of the driver using lwip/src/netif/ethernetif.c as a
template and reusing the old driver as much as possible. Hopefully, this would
bring the driver in line with the latest developments in lwip in terms of API
and coding/commenting style. Naturally, I'll test the code on my target board
before submitting.
As soon as I'm satisfied with the quality of my raw API-based HTTP server, I'd
like to contribute it as well.
All of this will probably take a few weeks.

Does it sound reasonable? All comments are welcome.

- Mike Kleshov