lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [bug #20199] TCP appears to be "Shrinking the Window"

From: Frédéric Bernon
Subject: [lwip-devel] [bug #20199] TCP appears to be "Shrinking the Window"
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 08:30:52 +0000

(comment#4 is a reply to a Tom's email outside the bugtracker. He wrote ):

> Perhaps, even if you can't test it, you could provide us a
> patch file to see how you would change the code to be RFC compliant?

I'm not using TCP at all. We're only using IP and UDP (for TFTP) at the
moment.

So I don't have any TCP code at all in the code base I'm working from.

So I couldn't even compile it without creating a separate project.

I've ported TCP before - the Comer/Stephens Xinu code base. That's why I'm
interested in it.

And that was horrid. It had RFC1122-busting bugs that had been in there for
decades causing problems.

At least there was no active support on it. It has been "abandoned" in the
early 1990's. It was only ever meant as running sample code supporting
student labs. I can imagine the students having bad problems and searching
their code in vain for the problems.

With the right client/server mix it was easy to get a throughput of three
BYTES PER SECOND over Ethernet! That was due to Xinu getting the PERSIST
state wrong.

Not as bad as lwIP which doesn't support PERSIST at all!

I'm sad to see that lwIP is no better 8 years later. It is worse given how
long these bugs have been in there (that it was written from scratch and BSD
and others and still written with these holes) and how old the requirements
are that it is breaking.

Anyone who is relying on the TCP working should have far more incentive than
I have to fix it.

I wasn't joking all that much when I typed ''Anyone using lwIP's TCP with
these bugs unfixed who isn't sweating and shaking "doesn't understand the
problem".''

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?20199>

  Message posté via/par Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/