lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [task #6827] etharp could need some tuning

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: [lwip-devel] [task #6827] etharp could need some tuning
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 12:08:15 +0000

>I find that ARP tables are usually only using a very small number of
entries. Even swapping them may be unnecessary for the average number of
entries. Am I atypical? Are people really usually communicating
simultaneously with many hosts on the same subnet?

As long as I know (please correct me if I'm wrong), to be
standard-conformant, you must include every ARP broadcast in your ARP table.
That way, (or any other way, too) you can end up with the most used entry at
the end of the array. That's why I wanted to include cache or swapping. The
single-entry-cache works for one simultaneous communication and maybe that is
enough for lwIP.

I think we can make it a (well documented) option to switch the entries and
be done. If someone has simultaneous connections, they can switch the
entries, the rest can live with the single-entry-cache. OK? (That way we even
don't need the pointer-return-value for find_entry()).

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?6827>

  Nachricht geschickt von/durch Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/