lwip-devel

RE: [lwip-devel] Comments about "low_level_output"

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: RE: [lwip-devel] Comments about "low_level_output"
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 08:51:54 +0100

On Thu, 2007-05-24 at 13:18 -0400, Pettinato, Jim wrote:
> As a raw interface user, I was surprised to see the stack didn't
> handle an error situation in low_level_output. Luckily I'm using TCP
> based apps almost exclusively so I can let the protocol handle
> retries, and hence just drop the outgoing packet. It would be nice to
> handle this in the core somehow if possible from my perspective.

For TCP we should be able to notice this error and leave it on the sent
queue.  This would be much better than dropping and retransmitting as
that really hurts performance, but perhaps that performance hit is
actually a good thing as you should then give the device that has run
out of memory time to catch up.

Kieran