lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [task #6935] Problems to be solved with the current socket/

From: Atte Kojo
Subject: [lwip-devel] [task #6935] Problems to be solved with the current socket/netconn API
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 13:02:25 +0000

I vote for re-implementing the sockets API from scratch directly on top of
the raw API using mutexes for synchronization.

Actually, what I'd really like is that Kieran wouldn't have to use phrases
"lwIP is not thread-safe" and "to get good performance, you should use raw
API" ever again on lwip-users ;-).

> I agree speed is not the main goal for lwIP.

Me too, but if everybody and their dog are running lwIP at wire-speeds using
the raw API, getting good performance using a sequential API shouldn't be
*that* difficult.

Maybe integrate this with tasks #6849 and #6863, and suddenly we might end up
with the smallest, fastest and meanest embedded TCP/IP stack ever ;-D.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?6935>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/