lwip-devel

RE: [lwip-devel] testing methods

From: Taranowski, Thomas \(SWCOE\)
Subject: RE: [lwip-devel] testing methods
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 15:16:04 -0500

Thanks for the replies.  I'm about where you folks are at, testing wise.
I first ping as a first-pass smoke test, if you will.  I then do some
big FTP  downloads while performing a UDP transmit stress test.  This
seems to work pretty well at capturing problems with my port, however,
we need to produce a more formal test setup for a customer, and have got
6 man-months allocated for this project.  The customer uses the BSD api,
so the tests will be on that level.  We will not be testing the RFC
compliance of the stack.

However, one of the goals I want for this test project is to make sure
that the framework we produce can be extended to be of more general use
to the community, with the end result hopefully being some sort of test
suite that we can run against a release so we can call it good.  Making
this sort of thing happen is problematic, though, in that it's got to be
compelling and easy enough to use, otherwise everyone gets bored with it
and it just withers.  But oh well, what the hey, I'm going to try
anyway.  So, if anyone has ideas on what this should look like, I'm all
ears.

I've done some scanning of various commercial stack testing software,
but none of them really did what we wanted.

On