lwip-devel

RE: [lwip-devel] Problem with netconn_write()

From: Mountifield, Tony
Subject: RE: [lwip-devel] Problem with netconn_write()
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 10:27:15 +0100

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your comments...

> Years ago, I ran into a timinig-dependent problem with
> netconn_write(), which has probably the same roots.
> IIRC I came to the same conclusion,
> the semaphore should exist until netconn_close().

I see that netconn_delete() also deletes the semaphore if it still exists,
which is a much more logical place, so I have commented out the semaphore
deletion in netconn_write(). Now my application works fine.

> >In any case, assuming sys_sem_signal() and sys_sem_free()
> >can't block, there should perhaps be some exclusion to make
> >sure that a test of conn->sem and its subsequent use are
> >indivisble, for semaphores that can be dynamically deleted.
> >

> A usual implementation of sys_sem_signal()  is likely to
> leave through the OSes scheduler, switching to a different
> task, so I guess the check and the call can not be made
> indivisible by a simple solution like the "lightweight
> protection" here (which disables task-switching).

Yes, you're right.

> I hesitate to propose a more complicated solution. The best
> would be to remove the need for the check.

Yes, I agree.

Cheers
Tony

This email, its content and any attachments is PRIVATE AND
CONFIDENTIAL to TANDBERG Television. If received in error please
notify the sender and destroy the original message and attachments.

www.tandbergtv.com