lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] New buffer-management code branch

From: lukem . lwip
Subject: [lwip-devel] New buffer-management code branch
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 15:08:50 +1100 (EST)

Now that savannah accounts etc. have been sorted out, it is time to start
commiting some of the new buffer management code to lwIP. Obviously this
should happen somewhere other than on HEAD, which means either using the
DEVEL branch or some other branch.

The general concept of the changes, for those who missed earlier posts, is
to abstract memory allocation from lwIP. One example of a use is the way
we are using it in our user-level device-driver work at UNSW, where the
driver and IP stack reside in separate protection domains, and we need a
way to keep track of things like who allocated a buffer, and to call back
that party when lwIP is done with a buffer. In the past this was done with
hacks to the lwIP pbuf code, manually adding a new pbuf type etc. This
approach is fairly hard to maintain, leading to the implementation I am
now proposing.

The best way to understand the design would be to just look at the code
once an initial commit is done, and we can discuss the design from there.

So, the first question is which branch?
DEVEL, or a new specific branch?
--
Luke