lwip-devel

RE: [lwip-devel] devel vs stable cvs

From: Zschocke, Florian
Subject: RE: [lwip-devel] devel vs stable cvs
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 11:32:58 +0100

Leon Woestenberg wrote on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 11:23 AM:

> - Bug fixes are allowed in main.
> - Invasive changes, new features and bug fixes are allowed in
> DEVEL.

Sounds very good to me.

> Note that this would require bidirectional merging which is a
> real pain in
> the *ss if you ask me! (We now do development on DEVEL only, and
> merge unidirectionally back into main).

It helps to make ample use of tagging. There is a chapter in Karl Fogel's
book on how to go about merging back and forth between main trunk and
branches. Might be worth a read for those having to work with the lwIP tree.
:)

I do that on a different project. Tag before and after merges so that
repeated merging doesn't cause conflicts.

It also helps to turn off keyword expansion during the merge to get less
conflicts and turn them on again later.

> My preference would be for everyone just testing DEVEL :-)

To be honest, we rather keep up with STABLE in order to not get all the
bugs. :) If our system was IP only then bugs would probably show up earlier.
But IP is only one part and the whole thing is rather large and complex. So
bugs in lwIP may go unnoticed for some time and be hard to find later. That
is also why I would welcome bug fixes in the main trunk so that they become
available early and we don't have to wait for a DEVEL-STABLE merge.

> I kind of got used to the versioning scheme...

I can't say I find it too weird, either.

Florian.