lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] Re: [lwip-members] minor pbuf.c changes

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: [lwip-devel] Re: [lwip-members] minor pbuf.c changes
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 09:31:41 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Jani Monoses wrote:

> Hi
> attached is a patch which changes some comments in pbuf.c, makes pool
> pbuf flags be inited only once and removes some checks for NULL params
> where those trigger asserts too. I am not sure baout this last change so
> I'd like some opinions : generally either asserts or clean handling is
> needed but in this case I don't know which is preffered.
> Also what is the status of pbuf_ref_chain the last ifdef 0-d out funtion
> in the file?
> thanks

[I've switched the discussion to lwip-devel as this might be of interest
to more than just the CVS committers]

Regarding the asserts:  I don't have a strong opinion either way, but
think it is good practice to check the arguments to a function and fail if
they do not meet the specification - it allows bugs to make themselves
evident much faster.  The asserts will only exist if you have done a debug
compile, whereas the argument checks will exist in whatever build you do,
so the two are similar but not equivalent.

Kidran