Re: [Ltib] Adding building of kernel from SVN

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] Adding building of kernel from SVN
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 09:42:05 +0000

Hi Peter,

I can certainly see why this could be convenient for you, however
unfortunately I can't merge this.  I went down this patch a couple of
years ago with git and in the end you end up with these issues:

  * LTIB has to understand the SCP and becomes a front end for the tool
  * The floodgate open for SCM system x, y,x (mecurial, cvs, git ......)

After a lot of thought I concluded that the best approach was for LTIB
to be ignorant and agnostic of the underlying SCM being used for
development.  The idea is that for this activity you should use
directory build mechanism and handle any SCM work in the .spec file you
are using.  This turns out to work quite well, you can put all the SCM
handling in the %prep (checkout) and %build (update) sections (I have
some examples for git somewhere.

Regards, Stuart