Re: [Ltib] How do we do firmware version control for Embedded Linux Devi

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] How do we do firmware version control for Embedded Linux Device?
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 19:22:39 +0100

Hi Quentin,

This is not really a LTIB question so much as a configuration management
 policy.

LTIB and other build systems are not really intended to provide
configuration management for packages.  The idea is they use some
pristine upstream release and then add as few patches on top as are
needed to get the thing working.  Furthermore in an ideal world the
patch that are generally useful should be pushed back to the upstream
maintainer.

Given this point, if you just add a patch to an existing package in
LTIB, then you should just update the Revision in the package.

If you change the baseline, you should change the package version,
generally to match the released package version.

Regards, Stuart