Re: [Ltib] phy3250 uboot environment in eeprom

From: Mike RA9FTM
Subject: Re: [Ltib] phy3250 uboot environment in eeprom
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 11:05:22 +0500

Hello, Kevin.

Thank you for your message. I am developing reliable device on lpc3250 core.
kickstart is placed to the EEPROM now, because NAND flash is not reliable.
S1L, u-boot and linux kernel will be placed in NAND by following way:
block 1: S1L S1L S1L    u-boot u-boot u-boot    kernel kernel kernel

kickstart is modified and now it counts CRC checksum for S1L, u-boot and kernel, compares it with CRC saved in the EEPROM. It is still less than 15,5 kb.

so, modified kickstart algorithm should be as follows:
1. find unbroken S1L
2. find unbroken uboot
3. modify S1L config in EEPROM so it will link to unbroken uboot
4. find unbroken kernel
5. modify uboot config so t will load unbroken linux kernel
6. copy S1L to RAM and start it  (this is default kickstart functionality)

I have already modified S1L so it is now reads from EEPROM number of block where u-boot is placed and loads it from that place.

I have seen your u-boot patch, especially in board/phy3250/lowlevels_init.c function phy3250_get_board_info.
For example, here is implemented mac address reading from EEPROM, but when I run "bdinfo" command, it shows: ethaddr     = 00:00:00:00:00:00 Any suggestions? Where mac address saves?

So, I think it is possible to implement reading address from EEPROM, where unbroken kernel is placed.
It is also need to modify include/configs/phy3250.h this string for all three u-boot images in NAND, this string:
#define CONFIG_ENV_OFFSET    0x168000 /* Block 90 */

The root file system also will be placed in NAND and it will be jffs2.

With best regards,
 Mike