[Ltib] Make rpmbuild invoke bash instead of sh?

From: Svein Seldal
Subject: [Ltib] Make rpmbuild invoke bash instead of sh?
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 01:17:05 +0200

Hello guys!

I'm new to this list (and to LTIB) and I have to admit that I'm struggling a bit. I have a Freescale iMX35PDK and am running Debian 9.04 on host.

This mail might ruin my first impression, yet I think I can handle it :D

My compilation has stopped at building of qtopia because of a script error. Now, I know why it fails:

The qtopia spec files uses bash script syntaxes, while rpmbuild seem to invoke the script as #/bin/sh. On a Debian and Ubuntu based system, /bin/sh is not bash, it's dash.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian_Almquist_shell

It was proposed earlier on this list to change the /bin/sh symlink to bash. This is NOT a recommended solution, because it may break Debian/Ubuntu bootup.

How can I then configure rpmbuild to invoke the script as a proper bash script (which is should)? There's nothing in the .spec file specifying which script engine to use. According to google, it's seems the bond to /bin/sh might be hardcoded. Anybody knows?

IMHO we can't and shouldn't assume that /bin/sh is bash. (Hence if my above statements are true, rpmbuild is broken.) Coming from a non-rpm based linux, I'd propose fixing this for our little world by either not rely on bash features, or to invoke the bash script separately.

Best regards,
Svein Seldal