Re: [Ltib] is the "boost" package actually supposed to build?

From: Robert P. J. Day
Subject: Re: [Ltib] is the "boost" package actually supposed to build?
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 07:03:35 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009, Stuart Hughes wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> A few pointers:
>
> * Any package not selectable from the config system (e.g. with
> ./ltib -m config) is not supported.  Generally these spec files are
> there because people started working on them and stopped, or they
> worked on previous projects.  You could argue they should be
> removed, but my view is that they are a better starting point than
> none.

  ah, things suddenly make much more sense, so now i know which spec
files i should take seriously.

> * These unfinished .spec files usually need work.  For something
> like boost, you need to look at similar packages than build
> executables that they need to run in order to progress.  If you're
> lucky, the package is aware of this and you can simply pass
> HOSTCC="$BUILDCC" to the 'make' line.  If you're less lucky, you
> have to get into elaborate hackery such as that in the perl.spec;
> essentially build twice, once native, once cross using the native
> parts you need during the cross build.

  gotcha.  in that case, i'm going to take a look at boost and see if
i can come up with a sane spec file that does a one-pass build.  if i
can, i'll submit it for inclusion.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
    Have classroom, will lecture.