lout-users

Re: Changing math layout / microtypography

From: Oliver Bandel
Subject: Re: Changing math layout / microtypography
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 21:34:49 +0200

Zitat von Valery Ushakov <address@hidden> (Thu, 31 Mar 2016 21:07:31 +0300)

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 19:07:01 +0300, Valery Ushakov wrote:

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 17:10:34 +0200, Oliver Bandel wrote:

> I want to have a different layout/typography
> for the integral symbol.
> I want the limits to be directly below and above the Integral-symbol,
> not right-sided.
> The Sum-symbol seems to have both options, but the integral it seems,
> only has the limits shifted to the right of the integral-symbol.

Actually "int" does have an option to set limits above/below, it's
just it defaults directly to "No", so you can override it on
individual invocations, but not globally.

    int limits { Yes } ...

You can either use that explicitly or you can define

Ok, my Lout is very rusty, but come to think of it you can probably
also do something like the following.

XXX: I'm not sure how else you can pick up default values from the
definition of @Math since they are not exported.  The renaming from
"dftfoo" back to "foo" is just for cosmetics.

The trick is that you cannot re-define a symbol in the same scope, so

  extend @Math def int ...

doesn't work.  But you can define a shadowing symbol with the same
name in a new scope where the old one is (was) also visible.  The
cosmetic renaming in @MathDefaults below uses that trick too.

Another factor that makes this work is that import on a named
parameter is more magical than import on a definition.  Import on a
definition will let you use exported symbols inside the definition
body, but in the body paramter of the definition you will be able to
use only things you yourself export.  OTOH, import on the named
parameter blesses the parameter value at the point of invocation to
see the exported values, kinda like body parameter does.  See Expert's
Guide for details.

extend @Math
export
  symbolfont
  basefont
  initialstyle
  initiallycramped
  initialspace
[...]

Can you giuve me a working example, that shows how to use these definitions?
I tried around and got nothing working, that looks different to unchanged lout.
So, a working example with definitions as well as application of it,
would be fine.

Ciao,
    Oliver