lout-users

Re: reports of Lout's death somewhat exaggerated

From: Matěj Cepl
Subject: Re: reports of Lout's death somewhat exaggerated
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 08:01:26 +0200

On 2015-10-11, 20:23 GMT, Jeff Kingston wrote:
> Funny, I sent this email to the list yesterday but I
> don't see it today.  Anyway here it is again.
>
> Just to give you my view of the current state of Lout.

Hi, Jeff,

this is a way of apology for my too harsh words about the state
of Lout.

On the one hand I have to acknowledge that lout is one of the
most stable packages we have in Fedora. For years, it just
builds and builds, without anybody noticing, without bugs, or
need of any touch of maintainers (of which I am one, but it is
really a lazy job to do; i.e., I do nothing). And yes, from
a programmer’s point of view it is obvious how it is possible.
Lout is “just” convertor from one plain text to another text
(PostScript is text) and it religiously avoids doing anything
else. A result is that it has absolutely no build requirements
and so no external library can force the rebuild because of
changing API. This power is unfortunately a root of the biggest
weakness: lout knows nothing about fonts (all that fiddling with
fonts via external tools should be done IMHO by fontconfig,
freetype and its friends), and (especially painful to me) it
knows nothing about the world behind the ISO-8859-1 bubble
(which is probably more limitation of PostScript; is there such
a thing as Unicode in PostScript?).  Heck, even the more
conservative TeX couldn’t resist the calling of times and (as
XeTeX) it now supports both! And yes, the fact that XeTeX
produces PDF seems to signify that the deficiency lies in
PostScript.

And one more thing I have to acknowledge with a gratitude to
lout (and its author): it made me aware of “Pride and Prejudice”
and thus opened to me whole world of the romantic English novel
(surprisingly I have still resisted to Middlemarch).

Thank you,

Matěj

--
http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/, Jabber: address@hidden

How fleeting are all human passions compared to the massive
continuity of ducks.
  -- Dorothy L. Sayers: Gaudy Night