lout-users

Re: Bad breaks with Tbl width expand

From: Robin Chew
Subject: Re: Bad breaks with Tbl width expand
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 15:02:48 +0800

Hello Valery,

You are right, since the table seems to take up the whole page width by default. But in case it doesn't for whatever reason, you can force a column to expand, but not by using width{expand}.

Jeff have responded via private email last year saying to do 2 things:
1. Use @HExpand instead of width{expand}.
2. Use @FirstRow to work around a bug described in Chapter 6.1 page 123 of the user guide.

On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 11:13 AM, Valery Ushakov <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 23:06:24 +0800, Robin Chew wrote:

> I created the PDF using t.lout (in attachment) with:
>
> lout t.lout | ps2pdf - > t.pdf
>
> And the resulting PDF shows the text doing unnecessary breaks (as seen in
> attachment).
>
> Removing width{expand} would fix it but I need it in order to keep the
> table width expanded if a cell contains less text.

Is it really necessary?  Since you have the width of B constrained

  aformat { @Cell A | @Cell width { 3c } B }

A should get all the remaining width.

The bad break comes from the hack that is used for "expand".  It
really translates internally (tblf) to 40c @Wide and your text is
wider than that.  So it's first broken into lines for the 40c width
and then those lines are broken again to fit into whatever width A
gets.

-uwe