lout-users

Re: Linux Libertine fonts

From: Joerg Jung
Subject: Re: Linux Libertine fonts
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2013 15:25:46 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 12:57:54AM +0200, Matej Nanut wrote:
> > But the corresponding .pfb/.pfa must be visible to Ghostscript if you
> > want to be able to display it.
> >
> > Ludo???.
>
> I've the TTF (and OTF) versions of the font, but they seem to work
> fine. I think I wasn't clear enough on what my problem was though, let
> me try to show it:
>
> ---
> $ pwd
> /usr/share/fonts/TTF
> $ ttf2afm LinLibertine_I.ttf | ag Name
> FontName LinLibertineI
> FullName Linux Libertine Initials
> FamilyName Linux Libertine Initials
> $ ttf2afm LinLibertine_RIah.ttf | ag Name
> FontName LinLibertineI
> FullName Linux Libertine Italic
> FamilyName Linux Libertine
> ---
>
> Now, if I create a PDF (I always pipe lout output through ps2pdf),
> wherever I specify an italic (Slope) face, I'll get the Initials face,
> not the Italic face. This mostly means the text will be crossed-out
> boxes. If I delete LinLibertine_I.ttf, the expected Italic face shows
> up.

Are you sure, that ps2pdf is using and including the right fonts?
Usually you can check the included fonts with your favorite pdf viewer
(for example evince -> properties -> fonts tab).
AFAIK Lout and ps2pdf do not care about the .ttf and use instead the
the required .afm/.pfa files from the font path. You may want to check
the archives or read:
http://emarsden.chez.com/lout/loutFAQ-5.html#ss5.4

I usually create a local font/ folder containing the (.afm/.pfa files
generated from the .ttf with fontforge for example). Further, I create
the fonts.scale and Fontmap index files in this local folder with
type1inst. Then I create the @FontDef in Lout and reference this folder
with lout -F fonts/ and ps2psdf -sFONTPATH=fonts/ to make sure that both
tools are really use the files from this local folder.

Regards,
Joerg