lout-users

Re: Installing html2lout on Debian 5 (Lenny)

From: Paul Zarucki
Subject: Re: Installing html2lout on Debian 5 (Lenny)
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 15:29:58 +0100

Thank you Mark and David for your helpful replies.

Mark's Perl script does very well (now that I have the correct version of readonly.pm) and, with some modifications, I think I should be able to make it do exactly what I need with my HTML documents. For best results I suspect I need to convert elements from the HTML style sheet into corresponding Lout formatting options.

I'm afraid David's Awk script didn't work with my documents. The output contained Lout formatting commands but none of the text from my HTML document!

FYI, I am writing an extension to Simple Groupware (a web-based application written in PHP) to semi-automatically generate and print documents using content and templates read from a database. I have chosen to generate the documents in HTML format as this allows manual edits to be made using Simple Groupware's somewhat WYSIWYG HTML editor (a nice feature for not-so-technical users). I'm experimenting with various methods of converting from HTML to PDF and printer-ready formats. wkhtmltopdf produces a faithful rendition of the HTML but Lout seems to do a nicer job of the typesetting and layout, hence my interest in converting HTML to Lout.

Thanks for your help.

Paul.

Mark Summerfield wrote:
Hi Paul,