lout-users

Re: Shouldn't the sourceforge stuff be deleted now?

From: KHMan
Subject: Re: Shouldn't the sourceforge stuff be deleted now?
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 16:33:31 +0800

On 9/23/2010 5:45 AM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
Hello,

Mark Summerfield writes:

Now that Ludovic has migrated lout to savannah, shouldn't we get rid of
the sourceforge pages?

Yes, though there may be valuable content on the wiki, which should be
eventually migrated.  Any ideas?

It should be fairly easy to reuse if the target follows wiki format, else converting to something else would be a one-off job -- which ought to be reasonable since there isn't a lot of pages. I have slightly older tar'ed snapshots in wiki source format too.

A sensible long-term plan is needed for whatever new website that you guys may want to do. It'll probably be rarely updated, but should support convenient incremental updates by multiple people. Of course, we have seen in the past that refresh rates leaves much to be desired, and initial enthusiasm by incoming volunteers is sometimes not translated into action or long-term action.

The only thing holding back zapping SF is that there may be a few users who still want MinGW Win32 binaries. The last of that release (3.38) was not done by me, I did it last in 2007, but there was at one time calls by users who still want that. I would point users to Cygwin, which compiles lout pretty much out-of-the-box; I don't plan to compile any more MinGW binaries myself.

So pick a sensible website scheme first and someone needs to do all the initial stuff. Whoever is championing this Savannah thing will need to put in the miles and push, since in the past it was really hard to come by steady manpower for the SF website.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)