lout-users

Some Newbe Questions

From: Christian Kosmowski
Subject: Some Newbe Questions
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 11:10:38 +0200

Hi There,

I'm completely new to Lout and have some specific questions. I trie'd to
learn LaTex but this is much to complicated for programming.

Question 1.) Defining dynamic Symbols

I already read the User Manual, and the Experts Manual for Lout and so i
learned how to define my own symbols. Like
def @Name {Chris}
But what if i want Lout to get the Name of the Symbol dynamicly like (i
know its a stupid and useless example but i think i need it:)

def @Whos {My}
def @address@hidden {Chris} (i know this wouldn't work)

so i can call

@Name_My

and it produces

Chris

Is there another way to do something like this?

Question 2.) Getting Width and Height

If i have an object like

5c @Wide {Bla bla bla bla ..... bla bla}

How can i retrieve the height of it?

Question 3.) Non-Outputtet Objects

Is there a way to build Objects like

5c @Wide {Bla bla bla bla ..... bla bla}

but don't write it to the postscript output so just build the object
retrieve the height calculate something and then later put it out?

I would be happy to get some answers to my question

Regards

Chris