lout-users

Gaps in some @Math symbols?

From: Colin Klipsch
Subject: Gaps in some @Math symbols?
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 21:53:16 -0400

Greetings.

I've just recently built and installed Lout 3.37. Many thanks to Dr. Kingston and everyone else who works on this fine product. My platform is MacOS X 10.5.5, with Ghostscript 8.63.

Under the new v3.37, I'm seeing small gaps in some of the @Math symbols that are composed from simpler glyphs -- namely the 'sqrt' radical sign, and one pair of the matrix delimiters, 'blpar' and 'brpar'. I haven't noticed any other problem symbols yet. I'm attaching a 'tgz' file which I hope demonstrates the gaps -- inside is a short Lout document, along with its PS and PDF output as generated on my system. Please let me know if the attachment doesn't make it through email.

This is the first time I've tried the new @Math environment, as opposed to @Eq. I haven't noticed gaps in any symbols before, but then I don't often use these particular ones. I only noticed the gaps this time because I decided to print out the latest User's Guide to replace my much older copy.

I understand these sorts of bugs can be system-specific, so it might only be me seeing this. If the gaps don't show up for anybody else though, that's useful information too. For what it's worth, when I send the above PS file to a PostScript printer, the bug is visible there as well -- not just on the screen.

Thanks for listening, and for any guidance or information.

-- Colin K.